How Good is Chocolate for You?

Lorelei Yarbrough, Staff Writer

From Snickers to Reese’s, humans love chocolate sweets. We are constantly told to stop eating our favorite sweets because they are “bad for us.” Some wonder, where do our favorite chocolate sweets come from? It all starts on a tree. If it makes you feel any healthier, you are technically eating a plant.

The theobroma cacao, better known as the tree that gives you cacao (coco), is grown in Central and South Africa. This is where 70% of the world’s cocoa is produced. On the tropical cacao trees, pods are produced. Within these pods are what gives us the main ingredient for our favorite chocolate bars.

“A small bar of dark chocolate everyday would help keep your heart and cardiovascular system running well,” says Mark Stibich, who has a PhD in health careers services. Stibich also says, “Although chocolate protects your heart, it also holds the benefits of antidepressants due to it containing serotonin.” Chocolate also contains theobromine, caffeine, and other stimulants that keep us happy and energized. Our favorite chocolates also stimulate endorphin production which gives us pleasure whenever we eat it.

Helen Thompson states, “The use of chocolate has been used as a treatment since the 1500s. Mayans and Aztecs used it to treat ranges of weak sickness. Through history, chocolate is considered to be extremely healthy,” says nutrition histories specialist Louis Grivetti.

Although it is shown, chocolate in large amounts can be possibly unsafe due to the caffeine it contains and iit can cause blood clots. The caffeine can also worsen anxiety if consumed in large amounts. The cocoa may also cause irregular heart beats.”

It’s suggested to keep the caffeine intake slow so maybe skip that daily energy drink whenever eating chocolate. Although there are symptoms of eating those delicious chocolate bars, they do not outweigh the benefits given to us by chocolate. With all these benefits and the deliciousness of chocolate, what’s not to love?

About the Writer
Lorelei Yarbrough, Staff Writer

Lorelei Yarbrough is a sophomore at BHS.  This is her first year on the newspaper staff and so far it's definitely something on which she enjoys working...