Bethel Colorguard

Masyn Bentley, Staff Writer

Bethel color guard tryouts are April 15th-20th. Monday through Thursday practices will be from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m., Friday practice times are 4:30 to 6 p.m., and Saturday tryouts start at 10 a.m. Color guard is a fantastic experience and you will have the time of your life!

I first joined color guard freshman year and I plan on doing it for the rest of my high school career. When I was in 8th grade, I heard all the announcements on the intercom about tryouts but all that was on my mind was the last day of school. Rose DeFrance, a previous Bethel student, was trying out and was attempting to get other girls to try out with her. She asked me if I would do it with her, so I told her, “Why not!” Sure enough, I did it and got in.

That year was amazing. I met new people and became friends with all the girls. That year our show was called “Sacred Fire.” We had so many laughs and we used to joke around and say that we looked like neon lizards because our costumes were neon pink, orange and yellow with a scaly looking pattern on it. Although it was very nerve-racking, my favorite part was when we went to competitions.

At one of our competitions they had every food truck you could ever need. We spent that day getting ready for the show and watching other schools’ marching bands perform. After we performed, we took off our crazy makeup and relaxed. When it was time to get our placings from performing, we put on all of our makeup and outfits again. We marched down to the field and received our scores. The whole guard and Ashley Irby, the drum major at the time, started doing the floss. When we all got off the field we were all so exhausted that we packed up and went back to the school.

After all of the great memories of the previous year, I just had to try out again. We had some amazing memories and got to share my stories with the newbies in the band, including the time when Brooklyn Castoe busted her eye open at the football game or when Faith Hightower and I accidentally swapped uniforms at a competition. This year we did “The Greatest Showman” as our theme. Everyone was so excited to do something that everyone loved. The most stressful moment of the whole year was when we all had solos or duets and we didn’t know what to do. All of our competitions got rained out and the seniors were kinda bummed because this was their last year and they couldn’t perform.

I cannot wait to do another year with the wonderful guard team. One tip that you need to know is that everyone is very outgoing and trying to stay in your shell is basically a death sentence. To anybody that is even partially thinking about doing color guard, try out!!