Scholarship Opportunities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scholarship Opportunities

Janie Brown, Editor

Every high school senior across the nation has the opportunity to apply and earn scholarships to help them throughout college. Bethel High School has three scholarships available to seniors right now: Kyle Lewis Memorial Scholarship, Obhrai Scholarship, and Service Above Self Scholarship. The applications are available outside of Mrs. Ingmire’s office.

Kyle Lewis Memorial Scholarship

This scholarship is dedicated to Kyle Lewis, a graduate of Bethel High School, who passed away in an automobile accident headed home from a golf tournament in July 2010. Kyle was avid golfer and was eager to help around the Bethel community. This scholarship is designed to reward a deserving student from Bethel High School with financial support to attend one of the following universities: University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma Christian University, Oklahoma Baptist University, or the University of Central Oklahoma. The Kyle Lewis Memorial Scholarship will provide up to $5,000 to 1 or possibly 2 recipients annually. The scholarship will be awarded $2,500–1st Semester and $2,500–2nd Semester after submission of bursar’s statement.

Requirements:

• Must graduate from Bethel High School
  • Must have achieved and maintained as of the Fall 2018 semester a GPA of at least 3.5 (weighted)
  • Must be accepted into OU, OSU, OCU, OBU, or UCO
  • Must enroll and attend one of the above universities for a minimum of the first two semesters following graduation from Bethel High School

Application is due by 3 p.m. on April 11, 2019 to Mrs. Ingmire.

Obhrai Scholarship

The Obhrai Scholarship is an annual scholarship awarded to one Bethel High School senior who has been accepted at either the University of Oklahoma or Oklahoma State University. This will provide students with an annually renewed $1,000 scholarship for up to 4 years totaling a maximum of $4,000.   

Requirements:

• The student must have maintained a grade point average of 3.5 (non-weighted) or 4.0 (weighted)
  • The student must be accepted to OU or OSU and intend to be a full-time (at least 12 hours) student
  • The student must be active in Bethel campus and community activities

Maintaining/Renewing:

• Must continue to be a full time student at OU or OSU
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher
  • Bring an updated transcript after every semester to the counseling office for payment processing

All applications are due by 3 p.m. on April 15, 2019 in Mrs. Ingmire’s office.

Service Above Self Scholarship

The Shawnee Rotary Club will award a $4,000 Service Above Self Scholarship to a 2019 High School graduating senior. The nominee must demonstrate exemplary humanitarian serve with an emphasis on personal volunteer efforts and active involvement in helping others. The award sum is to be applied toward tuition, fees, or related expenses of the accredited college or university attended by the recipient.

Criteria for Consideration:

• 2019 Graduating Seniors of High School
  • Maintain high standards of morality and citizenship
  • Will pursue full time studies at an accredited college or university
  • Service Above Self Qualities
  • Leadership Qualities
  • Academic Achievement
  • School and/or Community Service
  • Financial Need
  • Two Letters of Reference

In order for the recipient to receive the initial award, the recipient must attend at least one Shawnee Rotary Club meeting before December 2019. In addition, the recipient must present proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university as well as an official school transcript indicating the GPA achieved before the 1st check will be issued.

Maintaining/Renewing:

• Remain in “good standing” as defined by the accredited school, college, or university
  • Achieve and maintain a minimum average grade of “C” (2.0)

The recipient will receive $1000 per year. The scholarship will be paid at a rate of $500 immediately following each semester.

Application is due by 3 p.m. on April 23, 2019 to Mrs. Ingmire.

Don’t miss out on your chance to earn some money towards your college education!! Apply today!

About the Writer
Janie Brown, Editor

Janie Brown is a junior at BHS and plays the quints in the drumline. This is her first year on The Posted Paw staff. When she is not doing homework, she...