What You Need to get Your Learner’s Permit

Janie Brown, Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Your learner’s permit is just the beginning to your driving career. The permit allows you to drive with certain restrictions before you take your official driving test.  You must obtain one for 6 months in order to receive your full driver’s license.

You must be at least 15 ½ and enrolled in a driver’s educations course. During driver’s ed, your instructor will take you around your local area for 3 hours for 2 days. Don’t forget to have the instructor give you your certificate that you completed the course!


What you MUST bring to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) :

  • Primary ID- typically your birth certificate
  • Secondary ID- typically your Social Security card
  • Documentation that you are enrolled in school and have passed your 8th grade reading test
  • Parent or guardian (if you are under the age of 18)
  • Driver’s ed certificate

If you are planning on getting your learner’s permit over summer vacation, you must get your proof of enrollment and proof that you have passed your 8th grade reading test by June 1st. The Bethel High School office will be closed from June 1st- August 1st, so if you plan on driving during summer, get this taken care of! Driving is one of the most liberating and freeing things you can do as a young teenager, so be responsible!! Safe driving!