Spring Cleaning

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Cleaning

Anita Mikeska, Staff Writer

It is now officially spring, and you know what that means–Spring Cleaning! This is an activity that many people dislike but many others love.

Spring cleaning can be great for getting rid of old things you no longer use, straightening up your bedroom to make it look better, or even deep cleaning your entire house. Getting mentally prepared for cleaning actually helps a lot. When mentally preparing, you want to visualize your ideal setup and what you want things to look like when it’s finally finished. Keep in mind that it may be more difficult to achieve these ideas then what you may think. Putting in a little elbow grease will make your bedroom or your home sparkle like new.  

Oprah.com says, “it’s best to set a schedule for yourself to keep things set at a certain time so you can get things all done and ready in one day. If you are deep cleaning your house instead of just doing a specific room, you may want to set an alarm for how long you want to be spending in each room.  Here is an example of how a schedule may look:

10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. bathrooms:

Pick up rugs, sweep and mop the floors, wipe down walls and cabinets, clean mirrors and windows, clean the bathtub out, wipe down the walls of the showers, and lastly clean the toilet.    

11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. bedrooms:

Pick up any rugs, vacuum the floors, dust the walls, tables, and ceiling, take down curtains and collect blankets and sheets that need to be washed, clean mirrors and inside of windows and rearrange anything that you are wanting to move around.

Now that you have an idea about what you want your schedule to look like, here are some ideas to organizing and cleaning out your closet.  

When you are cleaning out your closet, you may find old things you’ve been looking for forever. Freshome.com says, “Hold an item in your hand and if it brings you joy, then keep it, if not, give it away.” Giving away your old clothes can greatly benefit those in need. You can also try to sell your old clothes online or even in a yard sale. Some great apps to use for selling clothes are Poshmark, Mercari, LetGo, and on Facebook Marketplace.

A good way to get a good look at everything in your closet is just to take everything out of it. It is a lot to do, but if you’re fully invested in making sure it’s clean and organized, it is worth all the effort. When taking all of the items out and putting them back in, start by putting your favorite pieces of clothing back in the closet. When you find yourself unmotivated to put a shirt or pair of pants back on the hanger and into the closet, that is a sign that you do not value that item very much and it should go into the giveaway pile.

Getting rid of things can be hard. So if you are unsure if you are ready to get rid of something or not,  put it in a box or in a tote and put it in storage. If you’re ever missing a piece from your closet, you can always go back and retrieve it. You will love the feeling of a clean closet!

When you’re going through your closet and you come across some old jeans you no longer want or wear, don’t forget that the Bethel Middle School and High School Library has a drop box for unwanted jeans. These jeans will go to the Hope House and will go to people who need them.

Good luck on your cleaning journey, hopefully, the idea you had in mind comes true.