Women’s History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women’s History Month

Nicole Bowlan, Editor

The month of March is designated as Women’s History Month. Each year this month is set aside to honor women’s contributions to history and society throughout American history.

The origin of Women’s History Month dates all the way back to 1978, when a school district in Sonoma, California participated in Women’s History Week inspired by International Women’s Day which is on March 8th. A year later in 1979, a fifteen day conference was held about women’s history. When participants of the conference learned of women’s success’, the celebration spread. In February 1980, President Jimmy Carter proclaimed March 2-8 as National Women’s History Week through a presidential proclamation.

“Men and women have worked together to build this nation. Too often, the women were unsung and sometimes their contributions went unnoticed. But the achievements, leadership, courage, strength, and love of the women who built America is as vital as that of the men,” Jimmy Carter, former U.S. President, stated in this proclamation,“I ask my fellow Americans to recognize this heritage with appropriate activities during National Women’s History Week. I urge libraries, schools, and community organizations to focus their observances on the leaders who struggled for equality.”

Dedicating the entire month to Women’s History came in 1986 after schools began expanding the celebration of  National Women’s History Week into an entire month of celebration. In 1987, Congress passed a petition which officially designated March as Women’s History Month.

“Women’s History Month was created so that we can celebrate all the amazing things that women have done throughout American history…Women have done a LOT to help the progression of contemporary society,” stated Grace Tuzik, a writer for The Odyssey, “Women have more than done their fair share in shaping history.”

There are multiple ways to celebrate for Women’s History Month. For example, you can watch documentaries over history-making women, donate to a women’s organization, speak up and speak out about women’s rights, or even do something simple such as thank a woman who inspires you. Women play a major role in society, so maybe just give them an extra thanks this month; although, you should be doing these things every month.

“Whether it’s your mother, professor, or your favorite grocery store clerk, I’m sure there’s no shortage of amazing women around you,” stated Akaria-Stewart, a staff member of The George-Anne, “Take the time to thank the women around you who you see or feel are working hard and being of service. A kind smile could go a long way.”

This March for Women’s History Month, take extra time to inform yourself of the women throughout history who have made a significant difference and impacted society as we know it. Look up local activities that are being held in honor of National Women’s Month and attend them, even if it is out of your comfort zone. Women throughout history have made major advances in different aspects of life, and we should acknowledge their contributions to the society we live in and our everyday lives.