Oxygen Rich Plants for Your Home

Rayanna Gaines, Staff Writer

Have you ever wished to have a mini tree in your house to clean your personal air? Here is a list of plants to help clean your home in ways that you can not.

• Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is an extremely useful plant because not only does it remove carbon dioxide,  produce oxygen at night, and remove benzene and formaldehyde, it also can treat burns, small cuts, and help bug bites not itch as bad.
  • Gerbera Daisy: Gerbera Daisies remove benzene and formaldehyde from the air along with producing oxygen. Unlike the aloe vera plant,  they add a splash of color to your home.
  • Peace Lily: Peace Lillies remove chemical vapors like acetone, ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene. It raises humidity levels in your home and is especially good during dry times of the year.
  • Rubber Plant: The Rubber Plant ranks near the top of the list for removing formaldehyde from the air. Unlike the others, it needs regular watering and mist on its leaves in dry weather.
  • Sake Plant (mother-in-law’s tongue): The Sake Plant, like aloe vera, makes oxygen and removes carbon dioxide from the air at night. It also removes formaldehyde, smog and trichloroethylene from the air.
  • Weeping Fig: The Weeping Fig tree removes formaldehyde, toluene, and xylene from the air. It can come as a shrub, tree, or a tree with braided trunks.
  • Areca Palm: The Areca Palm removes formaldehyde, xylene and toluene.
  • Money Plant: The Money Plant removes formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, and benzene. Unlike the others, its leaves are toxic to cats, dogs and small children.
  • Chinese Evergreen: The Chinese Evergreen emits a high oxygen content while also purifying the air of benzene, formaldehyde, and other harmful chemicals. As the name suggests, it is most popular in China.
  • Bamboo Palm: The Bamboo Palm removes benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene from the air, while still adding humidity.
  • Dracaena: The Dracaena is one of the best plants for removing trichloroethylene. It is also a low maintenance house plant to grow. They can live for decades if well maintained.
  • Dwarf Date Palm: The Dwarf Date Palm removes xylene. It is well suited for temperate environments like homes and offices.
  • Boston Fern: The Boston Fern removes formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene. It thrives in moderate and indirect sunlight and in high humidity.
  • Spider Plant: The Spider Plant removes formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene from the air. It thrives in moderate and indirect sunlight with cool temperatures.
  • Pothos: The Pothos removes benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene. It thrives in moderate to low indirect sunlight.

About the Writer
Rayanna Gaines, Staff Writer

Rayanna Gaines is a sophomore in high school and a first-year member on The Posted Paw. Her hobbies include: reading, listening to music, making art, wasting...