Harry Potter: A Timeless Series of Nostalgia and Fantasy

Katie Nichols, Senior Editor

I can remember being 3 years old and going to my grandma’s house where my Cloak of Invisibility, round glasses, and wands were stored. I would ask for her to paint a scar on my forehead, put on my gear, and we would go grocery shopping. Everytime we would usually go to Walmart in Ardmore, OK– I would drape the cloak over my head and run through the aisles, knocking things off the shelves. She would explain to me “Katie… not everyone knows that’s your Invisibility Cloak,” and I would be like “They should.” I grew up on the magic of the Wizarding World, and as one of my final articles, I’d like to discuss all of the amazing things about the Harry Potter series.

It was really neat to grow up on a singular series; for me, it brings back the feeling of believing you may be a witch someday, waiting to receive the Hogwarts letter in the mail, and also the strongest senses of nostalgia. I started reading the books in 2nd grade and finished them (through re-reading and understanding things better) in 5th grade. It was always difficult to form a favorite, and I think any series where you struggle to love one above all is going to be amazing and timeless. There are several things that are amazing about this, but I’ll touch on a few of my favorites. Be advised: there are some spoiler alerts.

The Battle of Good vs. Evil:

Throughout the entire series there is a constant battle of good and evil. In the first few novels/movies, it was obviously Harry vs. Voldemort, Harry vs. Malfoy… but then it took a turn and was Harry and Friends vs. The Ministry of Magic, Harry vs. Himself, and even Harry vs. Happiness. In the beginning, the stage is really set for The Boy Who Lived; a part of Voldemort lives within him, and the struggle is always present to fight the Dark Lord and the parts of himself that were influenced by the night he defeated him. The battle within himself for good and evil is shown through the very first piece in this series, where Harry consistently tells the Sorting Hat “not Slytherin… not Slytherin” and it is implied that Harry “could be great in Slytherin, but why not Gryffindor?” In The Sorcerer’s Stone, it was a battle throughout the whole year, in which Harry won through defeating the very weak Voldemort. In The Chamber of Secrets, it was through a memory of Tom Marvolo Riddle in the form of a diary, and a basilisk which freed it. Prisoner of Azkaban was the first touch of Death Eaters, and genuinely good characters, which he would come to fight in The Goblet of Fire… the one with the return of Lord Voldemort. In the following, it takes a dark tone of rising evil and internal goodness. The build up and resolutions of this are my favorite.

Friendship:

If it were not for Hermione and Ron, Harry most likely would have succumb to the darkness that presided within. Of course, later in the series he makes more friends like all of the Weasley family, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Oliver Wood, Hagrid, and of course, Sirius Black and Albus Dumbledore. The power of love, once given in an instance that saved his life by Lily Potter, is constantly regurgitated in the form of his long-lasting and deeply-rooted friendships. From the Boy in the Cupboard to the Boy Who Lived, Harry had a lot of self-discovery and friendships to pick wisely.  In The Order of Phoenix, he is struggling while being possessed by Voldemort and comes to the conclusion that friendship is the most important influence in his life, and without those feeling of love being present, he would not have the ability to defeat this evil.

Character Development:

In the beginning, there are characters you love and hate. For me, Dumbledore was someone I always loved and felt stronger for with each new element. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were the same way (even though they all grew more loveable and real), so was Dobby and the Dursley’s. Not Professor Snape, Neville Longbottom, Draco Malfoy, or Alastor Moody. At first, you want to hate Snape, and as the series go on, you have mixed feelings about what his intentions are. He did kill Dumbledore and he is a Death Eater, but it is not until the final book/movie until Snape is fully understood and appreciated for what his true intent was: to protect Harry at all costs. Neville Longbottom begins shy and unable to defend himself/others, and by the end of the series, he has taken part in Dumbledore’s Army and eliminated the final Horcrux, Nagini the snake. Draco started off as a little snot and obvious antagonist, and at the end, you tend to feel sorry for him when you realize his parents are Death Eaters and he’s been raised in such a strange way. Alastor Moody was disliked throughout all of The Goblet of Fire because he was, of course, actually Barty Crouch Jr. disguised in the form of Polyjuice Potion… but by the end, he gives his life for Harry and the betterment of peace and it is shown that he is a great character.

Horcruxes:

This may be one of the coolest parts of the series. A Horcrux is a piece of someone’s soul stored in an object, and in order to create one, you must kill someone for the number you would like to exist. Voldemort split his soul into 7 pieces, making him immortal for a time and also nearly impossible to kill. I love the complexities of this, and that without learning The Tales of Beedle the Bard, it would have never been something that could be accomplished. You cheer for HP & the crew to find them all and you realize they’ve been present the whole series (aka Tom Riddle’s diary, and Nagini the snake)… but the most complex Horcrux of all was one that was not always seemingly present: Harry Potter himself. It is when this is realized that one begins to melt and totally appreciate the genius and creativity that formed this amazing series.

Fantasy:

Imagine how cool it would be to actually arrive at Platform 9¾, or how interesting it would be to shop for school supplies in Diagon Alley, play Quidditch, drink Polyjuice Potion, destroy a Horcrux, ride Buckbeak around the school, chat with Aragog, defeat a troll and dark wizards, or even to perform the most basic of spells, like wingardium leviosa, or flick and swish, stupify. The Harry Potter series is so amazing because it brings about this new world of complete fiction with the most authentic people and realistic personality types. To live in that world for a day is something people merely dream of, and the closest they get to it is visiting “Harry Potter World” (which is an amazing place that I ventured to in December). The fictitious element of these books is what keeps the magic and love alive.

Without this series, I would have never been interested in reading, writing, films, or creativity. I believe it formed so many aspects of who I am, and I encourage everyone to try to take interest in it… it has something for everyone. J.K. Rowling has created a genius globe of fantasy and characters you will always love. It is the most timeless, heroic, and unique series I’ve yet to experience.

About the Writer
Katie Nichols, Sr. Editor

As Senior Editor of The Posted Paw, Katie Nichols has been on staff since her sophomore year, and enjoys many artistic activities and the satisfaction...