Bethel Blood Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bethel Blood Drive

Hailey Cameron, Staff Writer

The Bethel High School and Community Blood Drive is approaching quickly! To give blood, sign up with Mrs. Brock in Room 206 in the Annex, come to the old gym on November 29th from 8am-1pm, and don’t forget your photo ID. 

This year the American Red Cross reports that “21,000 fewer blood donations [were] collected during September and October than needed.”  The Red Cross also reports that “every day, [they] must collect more than 13,000 blood donations for patients at about 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers nationwide to meet the need.”  Because of the lower than needed numbers in the two previous months, the Red Cross is making an urgent plea for more people to give this season.  

Fear of needles?

You’re not alone. Fear of needles for sure prevents a lot of people from donating blood.

But if you are willing to spend a few minutes facing your fears, then you may just feel proud of yourself knowing you’re going to be saving a life.

😊Take pride, try to focus on the good that you are doing.  Your blood donation alone can save up to 3 lives.

😌Relax, try reading a book, listening to music, or simply closing your eyes and taking deep breaths.

I’m afraid I’ll faint.

Most donors feel fine after donating blood. If you are one of those people that do not, simply lie down until you feel better. You have about 10 pints of blood in your body, only 1 pint is taken in the process. Your body is made to replenish that loss in a short amount of time. Most people replenish their blood in a couple of hours. Other people can take up to a couple weeks to replenish it. It’s all about your body because everyone’s is different

How does donating blood help?

Donating blood can help many patients such as:

• Cancer patients because certain cancer treatments and cancers prevent patients from producing their own blood.
  • Trauma patients because red cells carry oxygen throughout the body and are frequently given to trauma and surgery patients.
  • Burn patients because plasma helps maintain blood pressure and other vital functions.

If you give blood you will receive a free long sleeve holiday shirt. So, give blood and give the gift of life this holiday season! 🎄🎅

(All information came from redcross.org)

About the Writer
Hailey Cameron, Staff Writer

Hailey Cameron is a sophomore and this is her first year on staff.  She moved to Bethel from Del City in January 2018. She enjoys spending time with her...