Cross Country Ends Strong

Anita Mikeska, Staff Writer

It was a muddy day and the cross country team was ready to run, racing against 19 different cross country teams in the Class 4A Cross Country State Track Meet at Gordon Cooper Technology Center on Saturday, October 20. It was the first time for the boys to qualify for state, which is a pretty big deal considering Cross Country hasn’t been at Bethel that long.

Bethel started Cross Country in 2015, when a very successful runner, Abbey Thompson, wanted to join a team but Bethel didn’t have one. With the hard work of Thompson alongside her mother, they were able to get the school board to approve a Cross Country team. Thompson was the only runner that year, but the following year, in 2016, they had a full team for both the boys and girls.  

The Cross Country team’s coach, Kari Nunneley, thinks very highly of her team. “A lot of the athletes are positive with one another, even if someone beat them that week, they still won’t go against each other. They are there for their teammates, I couldn’t ask for better runners because they are fun, but also serious when it comes to getting things done,” Nunneley said when asked if she sees any special qualities in her athletes.

Mrs. Nunneley has been at Bethel for four years and has coached track, cross country, and pre-algebra. She started competing in track and cross country in middle school and then in high school. She then carried on with cross country going to Oklahoma Baptist University with a scholarship to run for Coach Mastin. She is now coaching at Bethel and is using the techniques and workouts she learned in college to implement in the cross country teams practices.

This season for the cross country team went very well. There were six races and the seventh one was the state race. There were a few students that won awards: Colton Ingmire won medals every single race besides regionals and state. As for girls Millie Carlile and Autumn Ingersoll battled back and forth winning medals.  Mrs. Nunneley says, “The biggest accomplishment of the year was the boys: because it was their first time going to state.”

Although the cross country team didn’t place at state, they worked very hard, and they plan on trying their best to get to state next year.